[squeak-dev] RoelTyper is using a PharoTypeCollector

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Tue May 5 13:30:05 UTC 2020

On Tue, 5 May 2020 at 15:42, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi
>
> > On 05.05.2020, at 05:06, Ben Coman <btc at openinworld.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 5 May 2020 at 05:11, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> > The Pharo copy on GitHub has no LICENSE file, and the BSD license
> > is not mentioned in the README.md.
> >
> >   > I just noticed that??http://www.squeaksource.com/RoelTyper [
> http://www.squeaksource.com/RoelTyper]??isalready on "global read and
> write". Not sure whether that's a good thing in the long term. It is also
> BSD-licensed, not MIT.
> >

> > fyi... Whether it will stimulate action I'm not sure, but I logged an
> issue... https://github.com/RMODINRIA/RoelTyper/issues/1
> > If it ends up MIT you could flow that back to squeaksource.
> >

> I think the tiny subtle differences between BSD and MIT licenses is no
> problem here.
>
> "The practical differences between the 2-clause BSD license and the MIT
> license are marginal. Which one to pick is mostly up to personal taste.
> Especially considering that both licenses are considered compatible, so you
> can take code under one license and use it in a project under the other, as
> long as you keep the license text around."

Absolutely agree there is no issue using a BSD submodule within an MIT
project or vice-versa.
It was only whether someone wanted to be able to be able to simply say "my
project is MIT licensed"
rather than "my project is MIT and BSD" licensed.  But there may already be
a smattering of such already through Squeak & Pharo.  I haven't paid
exhaustive attention.

cheers -ben