[squeak-dev] squeak fu for deleted methods

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Wed May 27 15:42:08 UTC 2020

On 27/05/20 8:05 pm, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>  > The .changes file does not contain the version history of packages
> loaded through Monticello :-(.
>
> Ah, you are looking for non-local versions. Anyway, you could load all
> those older VMMaker versions one after another to populate the .changes
> file. The you can update your Trunk image because "Tools-mt.970" added
> method recovery for the local .changes file. Should be in the "Extras"
> menu below "Recover changes".

Thank you, Marcel, for your quick action. I learned a lot about change
record handling from your code. You're right about the code being scary ;-).

I now see "Recover Method Versions" in addition to "Browse my changes",
"Recover Changes". It is not clear from their titles that they all deal
with the same underlying .changes journal. Also "Extras" is not a
logical place to look for archival records ;-).

A journal like .changes file deserves its own browser tool (Changes
Browser?) like Class Browser or Package Browser. It should present trace
history by date/time with menus to filter them by class or by selector,
by refs etc.

We can invoke it from the code browser class/method pane context menus
(e.g. 'removed methods ..' below 'remove method (x)') menu item. This
would be a logical place to look for someone who has removed one by
mistake or needs to trace a removed class/method.

I have no idea of the complexity behind my request and I don't my want
request to come across as an imposition on your time. This is just a
suggestion for simplification and integration.

Regards .. Subbu