[squeak-dev] squeak fu for deleted methods

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Thu May 28 11:49:57 UTC 2020

On 27/05/20 11:18 pm, tim Rowledge wrote:
> For cases where you have recently (ish) deleted something you can
> look at the changesorter, find the changeset currently being used
> (and I suspect quite a lot of people aren't really aware they even
> still exist after so many years of monticello) and scan for methods
> with 'nil' category. When yo ufind one that seems plausible select it
> and use 'versions' to get a list of the... versions. 'revert' the one
> you  want to reclaim.

I was trying to trace

   Interpreter class>>translate:doInlining:

method which could have been deleted sometime between 3.1beta-4411 and
3.2-4956 :

Squeak3.1beta-4411 (3/10/2001)
   jm  5/30/2000 translate:doInlining:
   ar  2/5/2001 translate:doInlining:forBrowserPlugin:
Squeak3.2-4956 (8/20/2002)
   tpr 4/9/2002 translateInDirectory:doInlining:forBrowserPlugin

but *3.2-4956.changes goes back only upto to 4935 and does not contain a
delete record for this method. The change must have occurred between
4411 to 4934. I have no idea of how to get to these records.

But the real reveal here is the poor integration between code browser
and change log browser, particularly when class/methods are deleted. I
had to use the vim editor on changes file to verify missing records.

Should there be a special *Deleted* category to display these methods in
the code pane until the deletion is committed to *.sources?

Regards .. Subbu