[squeak-dev] Metacello Tonel Support Proposal

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Fri May 29 19:50:21 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 4:34 PM Jakob Reschke <forums.jakob at resfarm.de>
wrote:

> Hi Mariano,
>
> That is interesting to hear, thank you!
>
> What is VA Smalltalk's stance about Tonel interoperability between the
> Smalltalks _in the same project_? For example, if the main developers
> use VA Smalltalk, there will be the additional ENVY properties for
> SubApplications and such in the meta files. But when someone loads the
> project in Squeak or Pharo and writes another version, this will not
> include these additional properties. So if this person created a pull
> request, merging it without manual polishing will "destroy" the
> additional setup for VA Smalltalk.
>
> I am asking because we are facing similar problems between Squeak and
> Pharo, although they are still much closer to one another than VA
> Smalltalk is to any of them.

Yes, that would be the current situation. Although, if you can live with
certain constrains (like not having subapps, loosing whether a method is
public or private, etc etc), then its much closer to be interoperable. You
can read more here:
https://github.com/instantiations/tonel-vast#compatibility-recommendations

Also, we have an open  issue to address the possibility of storing the VA
specific metadata in a separate place:
https://github.com/instantiations/tonel-vast/issues/49
But we have a bunch of other higher priority things first.

Hope this helps.

--
Mariano Martinez Peck
Email: marianopeck at gmail.com