[squeak-dev] Drop shadows during grabbing

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Mon Nov 9 18:58:21 UTC 2020

> On 9. Nov 2020, at 19:52, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

>> On 2020-11-09, at 10:25 AM, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> In macOS, no windows have borders. Without drop shadows there's no way to discern them.
>> The shadow is now the border.
>
> Hmm, not seeing this on my current iMac setup. I don't have the very latest Mac OS installed (I'm still on Mojave), so maybe this is a recent change?
>
> Either way, just because Apple does something that doesn't mean I agree with it. But they stopped listening to me a long time ago.

One used to be able to disable drop shadows on macOS < 10.12 with
	kCGSDebugOptionNoShadows

If this was enabled, one could see that there are, in fact, no borders.
The shadows beget the borders.

However that does no longer work with SIP enabled.

The neat thing is you no longer have to deal with borders if you do it that way and you get aaaall the screen real estate for full-size/full-screen windows
without any extra handling (as there are naturally no shadows for windows that touch the border of the screen).

The less fun thing is when shadows bleed into other screens in multi-screen setups.

there we are. Where we go?
	-t