[squeak-dev] I'd like to contribute to the JSON project

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Nov 10 09:16:40 UTC 2020

Hi all,

> And canUnderstand: ?  Or is that being too picky?

> If the doesNotUnderstand: is not visible externally then who cares?  Isn't the contract (o respondsTo: m) ifFalse: [self should: [o m] raise: MessageNotUnderstood]], or respondsTo: not implies MNU ?

<http://www.hpi.de/>
Well, my conception of the general contract would be exactly the following:

(o class canUnderstand: m) ifTrue: [
    self assert: [o respondsTo: m]].
(o respondsTo: m) ifFalse: [
    self deny: [o class canUnderstand: m]].
(o respondsTo: m) ifTrue: [
    self shouldnt: [o m] raise: MessageNotUnderstood].
[o m] on: MessageNotUnderstood do: [
    self deny: [o respondsTo: m]].

But I would *not* require the other direction of the implication - for #canUnderstand:, this is simply not possible for dynamic forwarding (unless we make false promises on the class side), and in my opinion, the current discussion shows that the same argument applies for the second statement, too.

> I would like to keep the JSON library as simple as possible. Wer are just talking about syntactic sugar here, right?

IMHO, this goes beyond syntactic sugar. :-) As I tried to explain below, a proper implementation of #respondsTo: could be an essential prerequisite for using JsonObjects polymorphically with first-class object instances. In my use case, this is a crucial feature and if my proposal is discarded, I will have to subclass JsonObject ...

Best,
Christoph