[squeak-dev] Mac Users please test this :-) | Re: The Inbox: Morphic-ct.1588.mcz

Christoph Thiede christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Nov 16 18:21:06 UTC 2020

Hi all,

while revising this proposal for the Nine Key Bug, which I'd really like to
fix in the Trunk soon, I realized that a good part of the complexity of this
commit, #mapSpecialKeyToShift: and the keyboardLayout logic, is added
suspiciously and only "probably necessary for certain VM implementations". I
turned it off on my machine and could not identify any need to do implement
shift key mappings manually on the image-side. Are there any edge cases I
could be missing? Tested for both QWERTZ and QWERTY on:

- Windows 10,
- WSL Ubuntu with VcXsrv, and
- Squeak.js.

But I can't test it on Apple system. Could some Mac User maybe please merge
this version, comment out the following paragraph, and find out if the
editor enclosing functionality is still working well?

(aKeyboardEvent shiftPressed
			or: ["Allow Control key in lieu of Alt+Shift for certain special keys."
				Preferences cmdKeysInText and: [aKeyboardEvent controlKeyPressed]])
		ifTrue: [character := self mapSpecialKeyToShift: character].

Thanks in advance! :-) If I don't get any feedback within a week, I'll
assume this code branch is no longer required and remove it in my next
revision of this version.

Best,
Christoph