[squeak-dev] MethodNodes on Monticello (was: The Inbox: Kernel-ct.1339.mcz)

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Fri Nov 20 14:51:31 UTC 2020

Am Fr., 20. Nov. 2020 um 13:42 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph
<Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>:

> The problem is that when writing the opening bracket on the same line as the first block statement, the block statements will look inconsistently intended:
>
> someBoolean
>     ifTrue:
>         [self doOneThing.
>         self doAnotherThing.
>         "Do you notice the visual glitch above?"].

This used to bug me, too. But eventually I realized that it does not
really matter for my reading comprehension. It's like all those
parentheses bugging the Lisp apprentice in the beginning.

Rectangular block does still have an issue when a complex block is the
receiver of a message, such as with on:do: and ensure:

    [anything
       ifTrue:
          [...]]
       ensure:
          ["do something else"
          that ifTrue: [...]].

Because the lower part of the receiver block is indented, the ensure
could be seen as being inside of it, just at a glance.
But the style that puts the opening bracket on the previous like does
not solve this issue at all.