[squeak-dev] Binary Read Streams from base64 decoded (ReadStream >> #binary ??)

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 15:11:43 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I have some code I'm trying to make cross platform. In one of my classes, I
store bits describing a Form as a base64 encoded string. Pharo has
dramatically changed their streams in recent years, so on that end this
simply works:

`PNGReadWriter formFromStream: (self formSource base64Decoded readStream)`

In Squeak the readStream produced will be a textual stream, which is
somewhat understandable. But when I look at ReadStream >> #binary , I see
that the method is empty. Is this on purpose? The only other recourse I can
find is to send the message #asBinaryOrTextStream, but this breaks
compatibility with Pharo, so I was hoping for a more straightforward
solution.

Any ideas?

--
Eric