[squeak-dev] How to find unclosed file handles in Squeak?

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Oct 1 19:13:27 UTC 2020

Simple question, probably we already have a helper method for it, but I did not found any yet:

Often, way too often, I encounter some old code (or some stupid code written by myself) that uses #readStream to read a file and forgets to close it again.

Apart from the fact that #readStream is a quite dangerous selector, I wish I could find these unclosed file streams and close them manually without restarting my entire image.

Is there any quick way to do this? "Smalltalk snapshot: false andQuit: false" does not seem to do the trick, and I would prefer a less brutal approach.

Something like "Utilities exploreUnclosedFileStreams" would be perfect ...

Best,

Christoph