[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Tools-ct.986.mcz

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 00:39:44 UTC 2020

Hi Eliot,

I'll consider that MethodReference shortcut constructor then.  Say, how
about a single bracket, as in:

    MyClass > #theMethodSelector

I *like this*, because the "Reference" is the highest-level coupling to the
object whereas, *then*, when you want to go *deeper* (e.g., its
CompiledMethod), there is always still the legacy #>>.  And so, if
anything, #>>> would go even deeper than that, but I don't know what that
would be..

I just checked, looks like it's available.  I hope you enjoy the idea of
trying to design our API not merely based on what selectors are "still
available", but _crafting_ beautiful API that makes sense.  Just for
analogy, a couple of my favorite high-powered API beauties are the
Chronology's original Duration constructors (e.g., "1 minute + 30
seconds"), and also that fantastic SortBlock spaceship operator thingy we
added a few years back.

> Cool (very) but systemNavigation is tooooooo loooooooong.  And unless you
> show me an application which implements the selector search high up in the
> class hierarchy I accuse you of the tail wagging the fog turfing me  to
>  type  s y s t e m N a v I g a t I o n over and over and over again (I got
> a spam call yesterday afternoon:
>      Hello..
>      Hello, how are you today sir?
>      I’m fine, who is this?
>      I’m so and so from such and such
>      Ok, and...?
>      I want to ask you one question.
>      Fire away
>      Do you have arthritis?
>      No (hangs up)

As the first thing I mentioned was code-completion, such an accusation
should never have been made.  I don't use any of the luxury (OCompletion,
etc.) tools, but, at least in my image, I can type as little as "systemN"
and the first hit of Cmd+q is it.  That's just two more keystrokes for
something that, if you're finding yourself typing it a lot, maybe it's a
sign of a shortcoming in the IDE browsers that should be improved..?  You
could also implement #sn as a personal alias..

That's three alternatives to having to type the full "systemNavigation".
IMO, developers are tough, we should leave the best, most-basic words like
"search" and "help" and "save", available for external applications.
"Ma-Search" is just such an application -- to search any Object -- I don't
think it implements #search exactly, but I do want to implement that for
the interactive (argument-free) version of search:.

Regards,
  Chris