[squeak-dev] Getting from GitBrowser to the System Browser

Tom Beckmann tomjonabc at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 13:13:56 UTC 2020

Hi timothy,

first, on the Array>>\ error, this is likely because you somehow ended up
with the master instead of the squeak branch of squeak-tonel. I would
recommend to manually unload all three tonel packages using the Monticello
Browser and then running:
Metacello new
     repository: 'github://squeak-smalltalk/squeak-tonel:squeak';
     baseline: 'Tonel';
     load.

On Metacello vs Git and the general workflow:
- from my understanding, it is generally recommendable to first install a
package using Metacello as it takes care to resolve and install third-party
dependencies you may not want to care about
- Metacello is, however, end-user oriented if you will; the sources are
stored in a github-cache folder, which only exists for caching purposes. My
usual workflow is thus, after installing the desired package once using
Metacello, to clone the main repo (the repo that I actually care about)
again using the GitBrowser and do a checkout on the most recent commit on
master; this should leave things unchanged provided that Metacello also
installed the version from the master branch
- You can then work in your image and adapt things as needed; when you have
a working increment, you can use the GitBrowser again to create commits and
push them Github, typically to a fork that belongs to you and then place a
pull request

You can skip Metacello if you clone all dependencies using the GitBrowser
and install them one after the other in the right order. If you look at the
many dependencies of for example Roassal [1], it will however be pretty
obvious why you would usually want to have Metacello automate this for you.

Hope this helps you to get started. Please feel free to ask again if I left
something unanswered or if you feel like the workflow should be easier in
some way. Maybe there is something we can improve :)

Best,
Tom

[1]
https://github.com/tom95/Roassal3/blob/master/src/BaselineOfRoassal3/BaselineOfRoassal3.class.st#L64