[squeak-dev] getting squeak-launcher to git.

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Sun Oct 4 14:47:27 UTC 2020

Jakob

Thank you.

I agree with all your points.

For an interim "squeak only" version, I will figure out how to "iceberg" it up to my github account.

>From that, I can start hacking it to be truly interoperable and automated.

cheers.

---- On Sun, 04 Oct 2020 10:06:01 -0400 Jakob Reschke <mailto:forums.jakob at resfarm.de> wrote ----

Hi Timothy,

I don't have time for this at the moment, but you may put it in your
own fork for now. In Pharo you would use IceBerg instead of the Git
Browser to deal with Git projects. I have not used it myself though,
so I cannot help any further without learning it myself (which is one
of the aspects of also why I don't have time for this project).

My hack of the launcher is no sustainable solution. Because after
applying the hack you can no longer launch Pharo images. That's why I
would not commit it to OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-launcher if it
existed.

The "right" solution would rather need more work to be able to
distinguish between Squeak and Pharo and use appropriate VM executable
names. Or add further text entries in the GUI so this is not all
forcibly-automatically determined, but can also be overridden
manually.

Or we create a genuine fork of the launcher and bend it officially for
Squeak, but I would not like this. For one it would be odd to use a
Pharo-built app as the semi-official Squeak launcher, and most
importantly Sean DeNigris initially changed the launcher in an effort
to foster more companionship between Squeak and Pharo again.

Kind regards,
Jakob