[squeak-dev] (Somewhat off-topic) Xerox Interlisp-D Medley open sourced

Douglas Brebner kirtai+st at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 22:21:45 UTC 2020

On 12/10/2020 18:12, Phil B wrote:
> Douglas,
>
> It's always good to see historically significant software preserved
> rather than bit rotting in darkness.  It's probably not going to have
> nearly the impact Squeak did in the open source world since the Lisp
> world already has an embarrassment of good implementations (distinct
> implementations rather than dialects.  See CCL, which is a direct
> descendant of MCL, for example) where Squeak basically had to
> introduce/resurrect Smalltalk in the open source world.  With SLIME
> they've already kinda, sorta stolen some of the key concepts of the
> Lisp workstation UIs.  Though this source drop may inspire some deeper
> copying on the UI front... we'll see.

Agreed. However, I think Medley is particularly interesting; it has some
features and attributes that even Genera didn't have and isn't subject
to the limitations of Emacs. It's also not an emulation like
LambdaDelta, rather using a bytecode VM similar to Squeak. It may not
make a big impact but I expect it will get a bunch of extremely
dedicated fans.

And, of course, it has a Smalltalk feel which is appealing :)