[squeak-dev] (Somewhat off-topic) Xerox Interlisp-D Medley open sourced

Trygve Reenskaug trygver at ifi.uio.no
Tue Oct 13 08:37:38 UTC 2020

On 2020-10-13 00:21, Douglas Brebner wrote:

> On 12/10/2020 18:12, Phil B wrote:
>> Douglas,
>>
>> It's always good to see historically significant software preserved
>> rather than bit rotting in darkness.  It's probably not going to have
>> nearly the impact Squeak did in the open source world *since the Lisp
>> world already has an embarrassment of good implementations (distinct
>> implementations rather than dialects.  See CCL, which is a direct
>> descendant of MCL, for example)* where Squeak basically had to
>> introduce/resurrect Smalltalk in the open source world.  With SLIME
>> they've already kinda, sorta stolen some of the key concepts of the
>> Lisp workstation UIs.  Though this source drop may inspire some
>> deeper copying on the UI front... we'll see.
(My emphasis added)
How I wish that the Smalltalk world had at least one good implementation
(distinct implementation rather than dialect.) of ST80. Squeak is, of
course, a moving target that leaves a trail of bit rotting software in
darkness behind it. (sigh)

Trygve

--

/The essence of object orientation is that objects collaborateto achieve
a goal. /