[squeak-dev] Methods with hidden deprecation

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Oct 15 13:10:16 UTC 2020

Hi Patrick,

those suggestions look reasonable. Are there simple replacements for each one?

Best,
Marcel
Am 13.10.2020 17:25:02 schrieb patrick.rein at hpi.uni-potsdam.de <patrick.rein at hpi.uni-potsdam.de>:
Hi everyone,

recently I stumbled upon a method with a method comment stating that the
method was actually deprecated, while the method was not marked as such
in any way. Based on that I looked further into that and found a few
other instances. Below is a list of the candidates for deprecation. My
suggestion would be to mark them as deprecated and put them into the
current deprecation package.

As some of these have been around for quite a while without being
denoted as deprecated, someone might rely on them heavily, so: Does
anyone feel strongly about any of these in either way (reinstatiate,
deprecate for sure)? (I have given the number of senders of the selector
in the Trunk image in braces after the selector)

Bests
Patrick

# Rather obvious candidates

- Collection:
- #copyLast: (1)
- #copyWithoutFirst (9)

- NewParagraph
- #lineIndexForCharacter: (0)

- Morph
- #fullCopy (0)

- PostscriptCanvas
- #text:at:font:color:justified:parwidth: (0)

- Object
- #backwardCompatibilityOnly: (0) "welp :)"

- Canvas
- #imageWithOpaqueWhite:at: (0)
- #image:at: (0)
- #image:at:rule (0)

- FancyMailComposition
- #breakLinesInMessage (0)

- Preferences class
- #parameterAt:default: (0)

- SMPackage
- maintainer (0)

- SocketStream
- #receiveDataIfAvailable (0)

- SugarLauncher
- #welcomeProjectName (0)

- TransformMorph
- #localVisibleSubmorphBounds

# Somewhat disputable candidates

- MIMEDocument
- #type (?)

- UIManager
- #openPluggableFileList:label:in: (1 deprecated)

- MVUIManager
- #openPluggableFileList:label:in: (1 deprecated)

- MorphicUIManager
- #openPluggableFileList:label:in: (1 deprecated)

- SMPackage
- #modulePath:moduleVersion:moduleTag:versionComment: (1)