[squeak-dev] Celeste (was: Smalltalk-80)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Oct 21 07:10:11 UTC 2020

Hi all!

> Scamper started out a bit outdated and was quickly left behind as the web kept changing.

Here is a more recent version of Scamper:
https://github.com/hpi-swa-teaching/Scamper [https://github.com/hpi-swa-teaching/Scamper]

Here is a MagicMouse, different approach on Web browsing, which uses Chromium and its PNG export plus UI event magic from Morphic to Chromium:
https://github.com/cmfcmf/MagicMouse [https://github.com/cmfcmf/MagicMouse]

Best,
Marcel
Am 21.10.2020 00:15:27 schrieb Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com>:
Douglas Brebner wrote on Mon, 19 Oct 2020 11:30:09 +0100
> I see you're using Celeste. Is it still being updated?

Earlier this year I looked into that as I was trying to updated my
Celeste image from Squeak 4.1 32 bits to 5.3 64 bits in order to
overcome the 4GB email limit.

I found a few Celeste packages that were newer than what I had in 4.1. I
also have a few modifications of my own, which overlap these newer
packages quite a bit. Unfortunately reading my changeset files messed up
things in 5.3 and I didn't investigate the problem further and instead
reset my email archive, which has since grown to 358MB again.

> And is it still
> under the Squeak-L licence like squeakmap says?

The following Celeste developers has signed a release to have their
Squeak-L code available also under the MIT license: Adam Spitz, Daniel
Vainsencher and Lex Spoon. On the other hand, the incomplete list I have
of signatories doesn't include Bernhard Pieber nor Giovanni Giorgi, who
is listed as the current administrator for Celeste on Squeak Source.

Looking at old .changes files I can also see Celeste methods from
Andreas Raab, Alejandro Magistrello, Vanessa Freudenberg, Dan Ingalls,
Javier Diaz-Reinoso, John Maloney, Mike Rutenberg, Ned Konz, Bob Arning,
Richard A. O'Keefe, Richard A. O'Keefe, Steve Elkins, Scott Wallace, Ted
Kaehler and Yoshiki Ohshima. There were also methods by "dms" whose name
I don't know.

I think it is reasonable to consider that Celete is available under the
MIT license.

> I miss having tools that would let you "live" in a smalltalk image.

Scamper started out a bit outdated and was quickly left behind as the
web kept changing. Other things are a little more usable in today's
world. A fully working SqueakNOS or equivalent would quickly show what
is missing.

-- Jecel