[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-ct.1339.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 18:56:56 UTC 2020

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020 at 1:33 PM Christoph Thiede <
christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> Done, see Kernel-ct.1357.

Thanks!

> Sometimes I believe we should store MethodNodes on Monticello only, or have
> the code automatically formatted by the source.squeak.org servers right
> during uploading using a pretty printer ... :-)

You're not alone in this thought.  Until comments are part of the grammar
it is likely a vain hope however.

But another approach is to read Kent Beck's Smalltalk Best Practice
Patterns and see if his arguments on formatting are persuasive.  This is as
good a style guide as it gets.  IMO, Smalltalk is not a curly-brace
language. [ & ] delimit an object, not some statements.  But many of the
original Smalltalkers formatted code as you do so I'm not right.  It's just
that I've rewritten lots of the Kernel code and so I'm overly possessive.
I hope you're not offended.

best, Eliot