[squeak-dev] Squeak on a cellphone may need better blocking behavior

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 15:36:01 UTC 2020

Hi Tony,

> On Sep 1, 2020, at 6:50 AM, Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com> wrote:
>
> It occurs to me that to get better power efficiency, Squeak may need to
> learn how to go to sleep more often. At present it's using about a
> quarter of a core on my phone when I'm not doing anything to it.
>
> JIT could help that, I guess; but more generally, it'd be nice just not
> to be awake when there's nothing pressing to do...

The solution is a modified event architecture and jettisoning relinquishProcessorForMilliseconds:.  Search the archives (squeak-dev & vm-dev) for “event driven vm”.  This is work that should have been done a long time ago (I did this for the VisualWorks vm back at the turn of the century or thereabouts).  But it isn’t going to get done unless someone steps up.  My input queue is full to overflowing.

> Tony