[squeak-dev] Squeak on a cellphone responds to touchscreen input now (was Re: Squeak on a PostmarketOS cellphone)

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com
Wed Sep 9 14:14:59 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I've been hacking on Squeak-on-a-cellphone a bit more. Now the image can
scan /proc/bus/input/devices and /dev/input/event* (using FFI, AioPlugin
and OSProcess), and is able to open touchscreen-like devices and set up
additional World HandMorphs for them.

There's a short (2 minute) demo video linked here:
https://eighty-twenty.org/2020/09/09/squeak-postmarketos-touchscreen

I think next I might get Squeak to boot and configure the cellular
modem, and get it making calls.

Alternatively, perhaps an on-screen keyboard? Does anyone know if
anything like that already exists for Squeak?

Technical details: it uses my Actors library for Squeak, plus some (not
yet released, but only because of laziness) code for the Linux-specific
stuff on the image side.

It uses a stock Cog VM.

Cheers,
  Tony