[squeak-dev] a few small quit issues I want to note

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 01:02:15 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 5:19 PM Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Eliot, may I recommend the "flat-line your image" hot key?  It's
> really useful for that and other use cases like debugging shutdown
> code, or when Morphic gets slammed with events due to a bug that
> disrupts the UI.  It calls Smalltalk quitPrimitive, so skips all
> shutdown processing and logging.  It's one of the global command keys,
> Cmd+Shift+_.

Thanks.  However quitting via quitPrimitive is a bad idea.  Soon enough we
will have a system with ephemerons around files and could expect file
vuffers etc to be flushed before exit.  So we will want to run pending
finalization actions, etc.  exiting via the quit primitive without running
these activities could well break some applications.

> Another tip to avoid git fake dirty .changes file is, upon launching
> the image, immediately Save as... a "_test" image that'll be excluded
> from your repository.

Not the use case I'm thinking of.

> With those two easily-accessible paths to a non-logging exit for the
> user, I hope we won't rush into changing the logging of
> exit-without-save.  That's a pretty legacy feature that I do use
> occasionally to help me keep track of which images I'm looking at,
> without wanting to change their .image file timestamp.

OK, I abandon the idea.  Forget I said anything.

> That SoundPlugin one does sound like one to optimize, but for the
> Form, I think you want that processing because it's about what bits
> you want to record in the image file, regardless whether continuing
> the session.

No, the Form thing is compressing forms so they take less space in the
image file.  A complete waste of time if one is merely quitting.

--
best, Eliot