[squeak-dev] a few small quit issues I want to note

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 19:22:23 UTC 2020

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 10:43 AM David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 06:57:03PM +0200, Tobias Pape wrote:
> >
> > > On 12.09.2020, at 16:31, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > With the REPL image if it starts up and evaluates an expression of two
> (which are not logged) and then quits nothing has changed but the QUIT/NO
> SAVE has been written, and now my reproducible image/changes pair is no
> longer in exactly the same state; the changes file has grown.
> > >

> > In that particular case, wouldn't it suffice to just make the Changes
> file read-only?
> >

> Just exit with Smalltalk quitPrimitive. It's perfectly safe on unix.

That's hardly the point.  The REPL should work on any platform with a
command line, Windows included. And e.g. LibTerm.app even gives me a
command line on my iPhone ;-)
And it *won't* safe in a system a little more advanced than we have now
where ephemerons are used for output streams and we want them to be
automatically flushed on exit.

It is possible to get this right.

Dave

--