[squeak-dev] '1._FC_Tatran_Prešov_managers' blowing up Seaside

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Sun Sep 13 15:39:44 UTC 2020

Hi Levente,

Character set in http://localhost:8080/config/tools is set to UTF-8

My system font is Liberation-Mono, something I imported from somewhere trying to get cyrillic to display.

I have just verified that that single character causes the "spew" I am getting.

renderContentOn: html

      html render: 'Å¡'.

reproduces the bug.

I will run this by Esteban on the Pharo discord Seaside channel.

thank you for the pointers.

---- On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 10:36:27 -0400 Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote ----

Hi Tim,

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020, gettimothy via Squeak-dev wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am searching for way to detect that ''1._FC_Tatran_PreÅ¡ov_managers'' will blow up  Seaside rendering.

Seaside should have no problem rendering such strings, provided that
the character encoding is set properly (e.g. to utf-8).

> It is a WideString and I would just assume ignore it for now to render many other strings on my dev app.
>
> It displays differently in the workspace and inspectors than it does here.

I presume you don't use the default font, as that doesn't have that
character.

> 'Prešov' here is 'Pre(s with a bar over it)ov' in my image. html render: '1._FC_Tatran_Prešov_managers'.
>
> Isolate that (s with a bar over it) it is Character: code 353

That bar is supposed to be "broken" in the middle:
https://codepoints.net/U+0161

> How would you attack detecting this in the WideString protocol?

Normally you don't. Just make sure the Seaside adaptor has the proper
character encoding set.

Levente