[squeak-dev] Changeset: Eliminating global state from Morphic

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Sep 14 11:17:53 UTC 2020

Hi Dave,

I agree that could try to place the active variables at better places than the most generic Object class. Still, I am not sure whether you are arguing against the thread-local storage of their values - which I do find pretty important for enabling concurrency.

Of course, we could move my proposed implementation #activeWorld down to Project, and on Object, forward the request to "Project current activeWorld". Still, I do not think that an instance variable would be the right way to store the world, because it is not thread-local. If you would like to do this, we should implement some kind of PluggableThreadLocalVariable as proposed below, and store an instance of this class in Project.

What do you think?

Best,

Christoph

<http://www.hpi.de/>