[squeak-dev] Squeak needs a third-party package updater

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Sep 14 11:49:10 UTC 2020

Hi all,

according to the activity of this thread, there seems to be a rather great demand for a solution to this problem indeed.

Do I hear that it could be an option to make SqueakMap support different repository sources as well? Only theoretically, would this only require to change some URLs and SM already works with Metacello repositories, or would it be necessary to write a larger amount of adapter logic between both components?

> I would also extend the idea with being able to upgrade the VM and dlls within it, but for now that should be on the back burner.

>From my perspective, developing an updater for every host system would be a larger task, considering the different application registries for Windows, Linux, etc. ... Wouldn't it be simpler to put the VM into the different stores, i.e. Windows Store for Windows, apt for Linux etc.?

> So keep going, This is an excellent direction.

Just to be clear, at the moment this was only a question arisen from curiosity. :-) My list of interesting Squeak projects is already long enough to fill a couple of years, it's all about prioritization ... :-)

Best,
Christoph