[squeak-dev] a few small quit issues I want to note

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Sep 14 17:40:23 UTC 2020

> On 2020-09-14, at 8:38 AM, K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 14/09/20 5:28 pm, Thiede, Christoph wrote:
>> > Not logging when there is no change sounds reasonable at first blush, but there are also Squeak systems that run a fixed image that don't save on exit -- it may be useful for operators of those systems to be able to know when there were interactions with the system, regardless whether development causing .changes changes was done or not.
>
> Changes file tracks source code *modifications* to an image. Writing entries to change log just to detect if an image was run is an overkill, particularly when the file is stored in flash memory.

Agreed, and the flash stuff is an interesting extra point.

> There must be cheaper ways to log such runs.
>
> Any specific use cases?

This is why I'm thinking something like toothpick would be good as a way to do *all the logging* whether of code changes going to the changelog, or error messages going to a unix syslog and the Transcript and the local stderr, or general status updates going via MQTT to a sysadmin console a continent away.

tim
New: It comes in different colors from the previous version.