[squeak-dev] Project loading broking in trunk since Squeak 5.3 release (was: Etoys help needed loading e.g. CarAndPen.014.pr)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Sep 15 02:58:01 UTC 2020

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 07:43:47PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 5:24 PM David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> > I tracked this down a bit further, and the issue began after this change:
> >
> >    Name: Collections-eem.885
> >    Author: eem
> >    Time: 15 April 2020, 4:37:54.800631 pm
> >    UUID: 45d219d3-6ed0-4401-a820-44eebe21d71a
> >    Ancestors: Collections-eem.883, Collections-dtl.884
> >
> >    Switch elementsForwardIdentityTo: to not copy the hash, see
> > http://forum.world.st/How-to-become-immediate-objects-td5114931.html.
> >    Add elementsForwardIdentityAndHashTo: for the old behavior.
> >
> > I made some updates to image segments to accomodate this change, and
> > the Etoys project loading works again. Updates are in the inbox in
> > System-dtl.1171.
> >
> > @eliot- This needs review because I just made naive updates that seem
> > to work, but I touched several methods and I'm not sure if it got it
> > right.
> >

> First, sorry I broke this.  Second, I looked at your changes.  They look
> correct to me.

Thanks Eliot. If nobody objects in the next day or so, I will move both
System-dtl.1170 and System-dtl.1171 from inbox to trunk. That will remove
the #World binding.

I realize that there are some externally maintained projects that may be
affected, but I am reassured that old Etoys projects can still be loaded,
and I expect that any remaining problems can be easily addressed.

Dave