[squeak-dev] Project loading broking in trunk since Squeak 5.3 release (was: Etoys help needed loading e.g. CarAndPen.014.pr)

Christoph Thiede christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Sep 16 10:07:43 UTC 2020

Hi Dave,
> If nobody objects in the next day or so, I will move both System-dtl.1170 and System-dtl.1171 from inbox to trunk. That will removethe #World binding.
I would like to kindly object. :-) I share your desire to clean up outdated variables and unify access interfaces, but in this particular case IMHO the damage of probably dozens of packages not working any longer until individual patching clearly outweighs the advantages of such a cleanup ... I am afraid that many of these projects are not actively being maintained, never will be patched, and thus will be lost forever. Of course I would patch my favorite packages but I doubt that every other weekend Squeaker, likely not having subscribed to this list, will do so, too. This is why I would prefer a fallback solution with DeprecationWarning.
Best,Christoph