[squeak-dev] find class is broken...

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 21:24:40 UTC 2020

Hi Eliot, I'm familiar with Squeak's focus settings..

>     whenever I hit Command-f in the browser's System Category pane to
> invoke FInd Class, instead the Find In Method dialog comes up.  This is
> driving me nuts because to get back to the class dialog I often lose focus
> and end up deselecting the class.

Since you're looking to Find Class (which navigates to a new class
selection), is it a big deal that the class is deselected?

By "in" the System Category pane, do you mean the mouse pointer?  Cmd+f is
going to invoke on whatever pane has *keyboard focus*.  As Christoph
mentioned, *Mouse over for keyboard focus* will make it follow the mouse,
which I would highly recommend.  Functional pointing increases input
leverage by an order of magnitude, the most powerful way to use Squeak,
while also partially unwinding the dreadful coupling between widget focus,
application-function, window z-ordering!  Squeak's is the only IDE (with
the right settings) capable of delineating these functions with
independent, unambiguous gestures.

Regards,
  Chris