[squeak-dev] find class is broken...

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Sep 20 00:52:58 UTC 2020

UI preferences are so personal it makes my head spin. We have almost had global nuclear wars over arguments about text editor choices, let alone actually interesting UI aspects.

> On 2020-09-19, at 4:47 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>  For example, imagine the power of having EVERY PIXEL on your desktop being ready for ANY INPUT, regardless of window z-ordering, simply by moving pointer there and pressing a mouse or keyboard button.

Here you see, we differ. It's likely partly due to growing up using RISC OS and the original ST-80 UI (similar but not the same, which makes for 'interesting' habit/reflexes) where basically the keyboard focus was set by clicking in a text field and mouse focus what where ever the cursor sat. RISC OS permits windows to be active (for mouse or keyboard) at any point in the Z stack but you do still have to click in that text field. Very-old ST-80 MVC was mouse focus within the active window and IIRC keyboard focus in the text view under the mouse.

I *think* I remember work at PPS to actually formalise some idea of a text focus for ObjectWorks 4.0 - but that's so long ago who knows if I'm right. The thing that would drive me nuts  - and I have experience of trying to use a workstation set up that way in the past - is the keyboard focus sliding around as the mouse drifts across because of the cable being stiff or pulled by gravity etc. Yes, ok, a bluetooth mouse wouldn't usually do that but half the time they don't do *anything* right.

Similarly I really, really, dislike the 'menu button selects a list item' thing that we currently have (and that Apple do, too) because I want the damn thing I selected to be selected until I actually select something else. Grrrrr. Damn; this is all reminding me how much I miss arguing UI with Jef Raskin.

tim
You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive in Silicon Valley