[squeak-dev] We need an Applications tab on squeak.org

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Sat Sep 26 12:50:22 UTC 2020

> muO's already on the projects page:
> https://squeak.org/projects/

Yes, I know. It's all a question of vocabulary I guess.

Eliot proposed an "application" tab for commercial "projects". We
currently have a "project" tab. I'm not clear on what a project actually
is (it is not a word I use), and to me an application (not a word I use
either) does not have to be commercial.

I call what I do "programs" of "software". I made two games, which I
call "games", not projects (in that instance the word seems very wrong
to me). I am working on a third one, of a different kind and scope, that
is indeed currently maybe a project but when somewhat finished will be a
software or a framework because it is actually a open-ended game engine.
There will still be a game there, though.

In the current project tab at squeak.org, very different types of
software are listed together. If a different tab for applications is
going to be added, then it is maybe the opportunity to sort things out.
At the moment is feels like "oh look at all the things people made with
Squeak" but since there are not too many of them and they are very
different in nature it may give the impression that we just gathered
what we could, and that in fact Squeak is not much used at all.

Stef