[squeak-dev] Unity Happens One Step at a Time (was Re: Porting my programs from Squeak 3.10.2 to 3.5)

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Sun Sep 27 11:44:54 UTC 2020

Hi folks...

I seem to have succesfully disentantangled squeaklauncher and pharolauncher.

First off, regarding

To preserve the changes to the launcher image:

- Press shift+return, enter Playground and press return to open a Workspace.

- Evaluate the following: Smalltalk snapshot: true andQuit: true.

There appears to be an Easter egg in the launcher image.

Click at the bottom right corner and the pharo menu for the image running the Launcher app will show up and you can open finders, browsers, etc.

The process is generally...

create duplicate of .config/pharo* folders to contain the settings

create a ~/Squeak directory to mirror the ~/Pharo directory.

Create a /home/xyz/usr/src/smalltalk/squeaklauncher and /home/xyz/usr/src/smalltalk/pharolauncher  to contain the separate executables.

launch the squeaklauncher.

then...

Here is a copy-n-paste of my running notes (it duplicates some of the steps above).

unzip Pharo-Launcher.zip

mv pharo-launcher to squeak-launcher.

In ~/.config/...

cp -Rv pharo  squeak

cp -Rv pharo-launcher squeak-launcher

In ~/ directory, cp -Rv Pharo Squeak

launch squeak-launcher

open the settings browser.

change paths to reflect the separate squeak-browser stuff.

click in bottom right of the World to open the Pharo tools->Browser (or whatever it is called)

Find PhLSettingsBrowser

Class side, change folder to squeak-launcher.

modify

UnixResolver and PlatformResolver

launcherUserFilesLocation

"Documents folder is not a standard on Unix. Put files in the $HOME directory"

^ self home / 'Squeak'

I can now run the two applications independently without clobbering each other.

hth.