[squeak-dev] bug in Debugger hacked during install of XTreams on Squeak6.0 alpha

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Sun Sep 27 20:01:05 UTC 2020

Hi folks.

Doing the XML-thing on a pristine 6.0alpha image

Image

-----

/home/wm/Squeak/images/XMLXtreamsSqueak6.0alpha-19881-64bit/XMLXtreamsSqueak6.0alpha-19881-64bit.image

Squeak6.0alpha

latest update: #19881

Current Change Set: HomeProject

Image format 68021 (64 bit)

Virtual Machine

---------------

/home/wm/Squeak/vms/sqcogspur64linuxht202009271755/lib/squeak/5.0-202009271755/squeak

During the

Installer ss

       project: 'MetacelloRepository';

       install: 'ConfigurationOfXtreams'.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfXtreams) project bleedingEdge load

I get the expected error in XTIOHandle class >> intialize

initialize

self makeNonviewableInstances.

Smalltalk addToShutDownList: self after: Project

where I have to change DisplayScreen to Project .

Doing this in the Debugger (as I have previously done) threw a

MorphicDebugger(Object) MessageNotUnderstood: MorphicDebugger >> stepToStatement

I cancelled the install and modified

MorphicDebugger(Debugger) >> contents: notifying:

comment out "self stepToStatement" down in the guts of the method.

I rerun the

Installer ss

       project: 'MetacelloRepository';

       install: 'ConfigurationOfXtreams'.

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfXtreams) project bleedingEdge load

and am now able to modify the XTIOHandle class >> initialize method, on the fly in the debugger without throwing that error.

cheers.