[squeak-dev] VectorGraphics (was: Need better default code font)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Apr 4 01:40:05 UTC 2021

On Sat, Apr 03, 2021 at 04:47:35PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:

> > On 2021-04-03, at 12:55 PM, Vanessa Freudenberg <vanessa at codefrau.net> wrote:
> >
> > IMHO (speaking as a typo nerd) this is due to our default code font not having distinct enough letter shapes. I very much like our use of a proportional font, but maybe it's time to switch to a different one?
>
> I din't think it's anything to do with proprtional fonts per se, but we could certainly do with some better font choices. And indeed a better manner of choosing them & setting them. The FontChooserTool is decent but the whole world-menu->appearance...->system fonts... thing is awful.
>
> This a more than a bit amusing though since I'm in the middle watching Juan's excellent talk on Cuis & vector graphics - https://vimeo.com/532636234

Juan's VectorGraphics package is very impressive. He has written a VM plugin
that provides excellent performance and that requires no external libraries
at all (100% Slang). This works with our standard Squeak VMs and can be
included in future releases of the VM for Squeak and Cuis (I plan to do
whatever is needed to make sure this happens).

I don't know what is required to make this work with SqueakJS, but that's only
because I have not looked at it yet. I expect that it can and should be done.
It also works on the classic interpreter VM modulo a few issues that still
need sorting, so it appears to be very portable.

I really love the way this works without dependence on external libraries.
It's turtles all the way down.

Dave