[squeak-dev] Need better default code font

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun Apr 4 22:06:12 UTC 2021

> On 2021-04-04, at 1:28 PM, Vanessa Freudenberg <vanessa at codefrau.net> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 4:47 PM tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
>> On 2021-04-03, at 12:55 PM, Vanessa Freudenberg <vanessa at codefrau.net> wrote:
>>
>> IMHO (speaking as a typo nerd) this is due to our default code font not having distinct enough letter shapes. I very much like our use of a proportional font, but maybe it's time to switch to a different one?
>
> I din't think it's anything to do with proprtional fonts per se,
>
> Only insofar as that I do not know a single proportional font that has been optimized for coding, as opposed to dozens of monospaced fonts (there is Input Sans, granted, but that looks very much monospaced with only a few adjustments).
>
> I bet choosing the right glyph variants in some proportional font would help.

I quite like Roboto (perhaps in part because we use a 'Piboto' variant on Pi)
Take a look at -
https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Roboto?query=roboto&preview.text=%5Bself%20add:%20$4;%20add:;%20and:%5Bg:%3D%2034%5D.%20%20:%3D%20i,%20j&preview.text_type=custom#standard-styles

I really wish there was a propelr left-arrow-assign for use to use. I hate ':='; it's so.... C

tim
Great leaders inspire by example. When that's not an option, brute intimidation works pretty well.