[squeak-dev] Elastic Tabstops (was Re: Need better default code font)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Apr 7 22:03:27 UTC 2021

It seems to me that Shout obviates rather a lot of the concerns about formatting and elastic tabs and comments in different fonts etc.

Make Shout render the comments in a different font - it already does the colouring - and drop the " if you want. Keep the " as part of the raw markup. That leaves filed out code untouched. So far as I can see from a quick dig the Shout code works through the Themes stuff and can already cope with a font or emphasis being specified, so that just leaves the not-display of the ".

Make Shout handle the aligning of tabby-things. No need for any change in the raw code.

Way past time the pretty print was integrated with Shout too; better yet, time to allow some profiles of what is considered 'pretty'. I've been trying to use the Kent Beck blocky layout format recently; it's not terrible. I'm probably going a bit far with it right now but we learn as we go.

Also probably past time to drop the background shouting and redisplay thing; we're probably just wasting cycles here. Even a Pi2 didn't really have any problem...hmm, maybe for really big methods where some huge literal bitmap is defined?

tim
"Bother!" said Pooh, as he stood up to his waist in a cow pat.