[squeak-dev] Shadows (was: The Trunk: Morphic-eem.1742.mcz)

Christoph Thiede christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Apr 12 19:32:23 UTC 2021

Hi Eliot,

I fear that changes like this will not be very durable unless tested in any
way. At the moment, you won't even notice a new shadow unless you have
opened a Transcript by accident when accepting a method. Should we maybe
show a message window for shadows instead when compiled interactively,
analogously to the warnings about superfluous temps?

(In a larger context, I would strongly opt for (finally) introducing a
mechanism for linter/compiler annotations in CodeHolders. Most modern
editors and IDEs have it, even Pharo; if Squeak does not want to get left
behind, we should support something like this, too. It could or should be
configurable, of course.)

LBNL, if I understand Chris correctly, "anOwner" might be a suboptimal name
for a variable that holds Morph instances, right? :)

Best,
Christoph

-----
Carpe Squeak!