[squeak-dev] Revisiting the deprecation of #asMutator vs #asSimpleSetter in 5.3 (sorry)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Apr 13 02:10:41 UTC 2021

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 09:11:54PM +0000, Thiede, Christoph wrote:
> Maybe just create a new version and add the pointer directly into the
> comment of #asMutator? This will be even more helpful for people who
> wonder "Should I use #asMutator or #asSimpleSetter"?
>
> I also wonder whether #asMutator deserves a #deprecate flag at least.
> Otherwise, we will have the situation of two ambiguous selectors without
> any recommendation, again.

Let's not over-engineer it. Just look at the method comment. Is anyone
ever going to use a method with a name like "asMutator" without first
looking at the method to see what it does?  I certainly hope not :-)

  Symbol>>asMutator
    "Synonym for asSimpleSetter, retained for support of external packages such as Seaside"
    ^ self asSimpleSetter

Dave