[squeak-dev] Idioms | How to send messages in Context?

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Apr 20 08:01:17 UTC 2021

Hi Tim.

> It might be worth considering the names of these methods in
> order to make that very clear. Perhaps something like #simSend:to:with: ?

Yes, "send" is very close to "perform" and #when:send:to: and #on:send:to:. :-D

Yet, we are in Context. So there is already a notion of "simulation" attached to many messages in there. Looking at the protocols "controlling" and "system simulation", I don't think that adding a "sim" prefix to "controlling" messages would do any good.

Best,
Marcel
Am 19.04.2021 18:50:40 schrieb tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org>:

>> #cannotReturn: is put onto the stack of the process being executed/simulated. #send:to:with: is part of the simulation protocol. Analogously, #resume:through: will appear on the executed process stack whereas #return:from: is used by the simulator as stated in the comment. :-) I

It might be worth considering the names of these methods in order to make that very clear. Perhaps something like #simSend:to:with: ?

tim
Klingon Code Warrior:- 4) "This machine is a piece of GAGH! I need dual G5 processors if I am to do battle with this code!"