[squeak-dev] Smalltalk Zoo not written in Smalltalk

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Apr 25 18:41:08 UTC 2021

Hi all,

just a short and curious questions, but not guaranteed to be completely unprovoking. :-) Why is Smalltalk Zoo, the virtual exhibition which compares different milestones in the history of Squeak/Smalltalk, not implemented in Smalltalk itself but in JavaScript, a language which cannot compile itself, is quite the oppposite of Smalltalk in terms of clearness of expression, and escapes control of the actual application? While I love the idea in general, I think it's a shame that the zoo of a language that aims to be implemented in itself is not implemented in that language itself. :D

Is it time to make OSVM ready for webasm? Excited to hear your thoughts ...

Best,

Christoph