[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Kernel-mt.1390.mcz

Jakob Reschke jakres+squeak at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 19:14:47 UTC 2021

Real world example use cases if we had the Common Lisp experience:

Try to install something via Metacello.
Metacello would register "retry" restarts before downloading a package.
The download of the last of dozens of packages fails three times, so
Metacello errs out, you get a debugger notifier.
You would click on "retry" to restart the package download instead of
seeking out the correct context for that (requires Metacello knowledge), or
instead of restarting the whole installation, which would needlessly repeat
the dependency resolution up to the failed package.

Similar: when hitting the "Connection closed" error after pushing to GitHub
from the Git Browser, retry the upload without computing the set of commits
and compiling the pack file again...

I guess with extra (domain-specific) message box programming, this would
already be feasible now:
1. Register upload error handler that prompts for retrying (GUI layer).
2. Compute the file to be uploaded.
(3. Register restart context for upload retry.)
4. Register handler for Connection closed error; the handler will signal
upload error.
5. Attempt upload, which hits Connection closed.
6. Gets handled, signals upload error for the GUI.
7. Gets handled, GUI prompts whether to retry.
8. User chooses "Yes", GUI lets resume from upload error with that choice.
9. Connection closed handler receives this choice, restarts from the retry
context.

With the extra mile UI stuff in the debugger/notifier, one would not need
to write domain code for the steps 1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9. So the only additional
code would be registering the restart context (with a nice description
text).