[squeak-dev] Dock searchbar and message names

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Aug 9 06:31:09 UTC 2021

Hi all --

> [Chris] Just fyi, I believe you can get the behavior you're looking for by
> pressing [Cmd+b] instead of [Enter].

Tim wants to see the "Message Names" tool even if the query string matches a known symbol. On my machine for exact matches, [CMD]+[B] behaves the same way [ENTER] does in the search bar: class browser for classes, implementors tool for methods.

> [Chris] I want to replace the Search bar with opening a balloon at the hand
> which is just a workspace "scratch pad" for searches, calculator, [...]

Reads like a Workspace with some interesting conveniences. Nothing too special. Not really like a "new" tool. :-)

> [Tobias] Just add a * at the end of the phrase?

That's my workaround, too. But you would also need to add a * at the beginning for the entire result list.

For exact matches I still tend to use any text buffer other than the search bar. That's why the search-bar's behavior is also unexpected for me. :-) Yet, I know that it is considered a feature.

Well, we could vote that feature out of the system. :-D BUT: Typing the beginning, completing it with CMD+Q and then hitting ENTER wouldn't work anymore. :-O

Best,
Marcel