[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Tools-ct.962.mcz

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Dec 7 09:54:00 UTC 2021

Hi Christoph --

Be careful to integrate the latest changes to #addModelItemstoWindowMenu and use #resetBindings instead of #initializeBindings.

#asLegalSelector does #withFirstCharacterDownshifted already.

Do not cancel the drop if the user entered an illegal selector but repeat the process until the user cancels it explicitly.

Other than that: Sure, go ahead.

Best,
Marcel

Am 06.12.2021 20:03:17 schrieb christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de <christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de>:
Hi Marcel, hi Subbu,

> You could generate a name and leave it selected, like in the result of printIt. If you don't like the name, just type the new name as usual.

> In the workspace just type: "preferredName := " then drop the object.

But this will still force me to rename the variable manually. Your proposed workflow requires me to 1. prepare the workspace, 2. perform the drag-drop gesture, and 3. execute the do-it. And the bindings of the workspace will be polluted with the ugly name anyway. :-)

Personally, I very rarely use this feature because this is so complicated. I would still like a preference for this, but I think a prefilled dialog window would not be more disruptive than doing a manual assignment first.

(PS: Just another bug I did not yet find the time to fix - since the Inspector refactoring, you cannot even longer drag the object from an inspector field into a workspace. Instead, you will always end up with a variable pointing to the InspectorField instance itself ...)

Best,
Christoph

---
Sent from Squeak Inbox Talk [https://github.com/hpi-swa-lab/squeak-inbox-talk]