[squeak-dev] Merge Request: autoEncloseBeforeSpace.cs

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 20:20:20 UTC 2021

Hi Marcel,

  I'm finding myself enormously frustrated by the new enclose scheme. Two
main causes:

1. there is no gesture to create a pair of brackets around the empty
selection. This is something i do reflexively, e.g. command-T for ifTrue:,
space, then command-[ to get a pair of brackets for the argument to ifTrue:.
2. there is no gesture to remove brackets/quotes from a selection
surrounded by brackets/quotes. I do this reflexively too.  Click inside a
bracketed/quoted sequence of characters, then hit command-quote/bracket to
remove the brackets/quotes from the selection.

What solutions exist/are planned for these?  Any possibility of bringing
back the old scheme as a preference?  I have 40 years of muscle memory in
this.  It is, um, painful.

--
best, Eliot