[squeak-dev] Loading code without adding to the changes file (was Re: The Trunk: System-cmm.1214.mcz)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Dec 25 18:59:44 UTC 2021

This no-write-changes facility has proven exceedingly useful  this year and I wanted to wave it's little flag in the air to see if there are any good reasons to not include it in this release. Being able to make server images that don't write changelog entries is very useful when your system frequently has to import code. My PersonalSqueakSource system is not heavily used but has still accumulated 900Mb of changes.log this year.

> On 2021-02-25, at 3:27 PM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>
> Plausible looking changeset for this; since it touches several packages it makes more sense to share a test version this way.
>
> <NoWriteChangeToFile.5.cs>
>
> One minor oddity that might need altering is that the ClassDescription preference is on the instance side rather than the class side; this is checked for in the pragma/preference adding code and so I've ended up with class side methods for the actual preference setting & pragma but an instance side usage of the added class variable. It feels messy somehow but it does work.
>
> If you disable 'Warn if no changes file', 'Warn if no sources file', 'Read document at startup', 'Log compilations to changes file' and load the DoItFirst package you can save an image, delete its changes and run a command like -
> `squeak my.image -doit DoSomething &`
> and have a server running that won't try to log any code being compiled.
>

> tim
> --
> Science adjusts its views based on what is observed. Faith denies observation so belief can be preserved

tim
Oxymorons: Airline Food