[squeak-dev] Process #suspend / #resume semantics

Craig Latta craig at blackpagedigital.com
Wed Dec 29 07:49:47 UTC 2021

Hi Eliot and all--

 > There are two interpretations possible here. One is that suspend
 > should fail if attempted on a process that is waiting on a condition
 > variable. Another is that if the process is waiting on a condition
 > variable, then suspend should back up the process so that on
 > resumption the wait is retried... I'm interested in which of these
 > people think we should implement.

      I think it makes sense to regard a process waiting on a condition
variable as already suspended. This is in line with the traditional
semantics of Semaphore>>wait. So I would go for the first option, and
make suspend fail in this situation. An "already suspended" or
"operation isn't appropriate because the receiver is waiting" exception
might be useful and worthwhile.

      Also, I don't like the notion of retrying a wait. That seems like
new territory for unfortunate edge cases.

      happy end of the year!
      Craig

--
Craig Latta  ::  research computer scientist
Black Page Digital  ::  Berkeley, California