[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Kernel-ct.1438.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 19:01:26 UTC 2021

Hi Christoph,

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 12:13 PM <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:

> Christoph Thiede uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/Kernel-ct.1438.mcz

> Name: Kernel-ct.1438
> Author: ct
> Time: 28 December 2021, 9:13:10.136249 pm
> UUID: 0477e714-e01d-d34d-b6aa-0939494a4abc
> Ancestors: Kernel-mt.1437, Kernel-ct.1403
>
> Merges Kernel-ct.1403 (fixes simulation of dynamic-forwarding objects as
> methods).
>
> =============== Diff against Kernel-mt.1437 ===============
>
> Item was changed:
>   ----- Method: Context>>send:to:with:lookupIn: (in category
> 'controlling') -----
>   send: selector to: rcvr with: arguments lookupIn: lookupClass
>         "Simulate the action of sending a message with selector and
> arguments to rcvr. The argument, lookupClass, is the class in which to
> lookup the message. This is the receiver's class for normal messages, but
> for super messages it will be some specific class related to the source
> method."
>
> +       | meth methClass primIndex val ctxt |
> -       | meth primIndex val ctxt |
>         (meth := lookupClass lookupSelector: selector) ifNil:
>                 [selector == #doesNotUnderstand: ifTrue:
>                         [self error: 'Recursive message not understood!!'
> translated].
>                 ^self send: #doesNotUnderstand:
>                                 to: rcvr
>                                 with: {(Message selector: selector
> arguments: arguments) lookupClass: lookupClass}
>                                 lookupIn: lookupClass].
>
> +       ((methClass := self objectClass: meth) == CompiledMethod or:
> [methClass == CompiledBlock]) ifFalse:

Again this  cannot be allowed to stand.  It prevents adding subclasses of
CompiledMethod & CompiledBlock, which is definitely something one would
want to allow.  Instead use this pattern:

   (self objectClass: meth) isCompiledCodeClass

But do you *really* need to deal with proxies here?  If not, then *please*
revert to the simple and rational meth isCompiledCode.

Remember you can always have overrides for your own project,  You don't
need to inflict these special cases on the community code base (until
they're fully justified).  For example, in Virtend (which used to be called
Terf) we have several packages we load on top of Squeak 5.3,
TerfExtensions-Kernel, TerfExtensions-Collections ,etc.  By organising like
this we keep related changes organised by package and we don't have to
disturb 5.3.

-       meth isCompiledMethod ifFalse:

--
best, Eliot