[squeak-dev] Cannot read 4.3 image on Raspberry Pi

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.com
Mon Feb 1 07:36:14 UTC 2021

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 07:07:25AM -0500, I wrote:
>> Ouch! I have a lot of artistic work which is developed in Squeak on
>> Linux  -- currently only up to 4.3 (which is working fine for me, so I
>> haven't  upgraded). I'm trying to run one of my 4.3 images on a
>> Raspberry Pi 3B+  which is at Raspbian 10 (buster), and with the current
>> armv6 squeak VM,  getting the message
>>
>> This interpreter (vers. 6521) cannot read image file (vers. 6504).
>>
>> Suggestions?

--On Monday, January 18, 2021 09:15:46 AM -0500 "David T. Lewis"
<lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> If you do not mind installing development tools on your Raspberry Pi, then
> the best thing to do is compile the VM yourself. Instructions for doing
> this are at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6354
>
> If you have any difficulty building your VM, please ask for help. And
> if it works without problems, please report back so we know.

It built without a hitch, and worked fine with all but one of the images I
tested it on. The image that caused me trouble uses sound. Everything else
worked fine, but the default build seemed not to support sound at all. The
only drivers were vm-sound-null and vm-sound-custom.

I've had no luck with Linux sound on my desktop using anything other than
vm-sound-pulse -- that works fine. squeak -h didn't show vm-sound-pulse as
an available driver oh the version I built on the Raspberry Pi, so I set
out to fix that. After installing the pulse development library, configure
found it, and now I have an image on which everything just works. Thanks
for the help!!

lit-archive 82% squeak -version
4.19.5-3796 #1 Wed 20 Jan 2021 08:45:38 AM EST /usr/bin/cc
Linux lit-archive 5.4.83-v7+ #1379 SMP Mon Dec 14 13:08:57 GMT 2020 armv7l
GNU/Linux
plugin path: /usr/local/lib/squeak/4.19.5-3796 [default:
/usr/local/lib/squeak/4.19.5-3796/]

* * *

> You can find a precompiled VM for ARM v61 at http://squeakvm.org/unix/
> which may work, although it is out of date so I am not sure if it will
> run on your Pi.

Results here are not so happy. The display driver is marked in red on that
web page as "experimental"; on my images it mangles bitmaps in SketchMorphs
in a way that is completely unacceptable. It looks almost as though there
was some kind of attempt to do after-the-fact anti-aliasing that just went
haywire on my graphics.

-Thanks, Jim