[squeak-dev] Cannot read 4.3 image on Raspberry Pi

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 23:21:44 UTC 2021

It was only after 20 years of using Squeak that I was ever able to
successfully build my first VM ever, just the other day, and only because
the platform-specific instructions were good enough that even I was able to
figure out the missing libraries myself.

Whatever is being discussed here about the HowToBuild's, I hope it is not
about taking it back to some "generic" instructions that require expert C++
development knowledge to be able to figure out.  That's probably where the
idea that "no one reads it" came from because, sure, if it targets a
"members only" C++ experts audience that doesn't need documentation, it
won't get read.  Likewise, when non-experts (e.g., me) spend valuable time
trying, but failing, to build, it also won't get read again for a long
time, because it's safer to just keep scraping up pre-built binaries
wherever they can find them, rather than risk wasting more time failing to
build.

Being able to build makes Squeak more valuable.  Whatever the solution, I
hope this usability will not regress.

 - Chris