[squeak-dev] Building UnicodePlugin on ARM64

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Mon Feb 15 07:25:27 UTC 2021

> Notice how it does not have the -I/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include path I've now added to
> acinclude.m4 Makefile.inc

I think this is because the configure script needs to be rebuilt.

> The obvious question is what the 'proper' way to solve this is.
> I had the vague idea floating around the back of my skull that the
> 'configure' script stuff built itself from things like the acinclude.m4 fragments -
> and it certainly seems to include exactly the text from the original acinclude file.

Yes this is true.

Something like 'autoconf' or perhaps 'autoreconf' to generate the configure script.

As the README in the plugin directory for UnicodePlugin indicates,
an approach may be (it is a possibility) to use "pkg-config"

Assuming that pkgconfig on your system gives some results such as:

 # pkg-config --cflags glib-2.0
 # PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/64/pkgconfig pkg-config --cflags glib-2.0

it may be able to find the required --cflags using pkg-config

However I can imagine that approach has its own disadvantages.

My understanding is that historically pkg-config was used,
and that the opensmalltalk-vm team wants to migrate/move away from pkg-config.

If I'm not mistaken the Squeak VM "Classic" (squeak-4) uses the approach,
with cmake/pkg-config.   Squeak VM classic (in subversion) uses pkg-config.

The GNU configure script could use also the same approach using:

PKG_CHECK_MODULES(UNICODE_PLUGIN,[glib-2.0 pangocairo],,AC_PLUGIN_DISABLE)

AC_SUBST(UNICODE_PLUGIN_CFLAGS)
AC_SUBST(UNICODE_PLUGIN_LIBS)

However I agree that no approach is without faults,
they all have their own advantages and disadvantages, I suppose.

Currently on Solaris 11.4 I just disable the UnicodePlugin,
as it used to build fine for GNOME 2 (on OpenIndiana with MATE or Solaris 11.3),
but not on GNOME 3 with 64bit (Solaris 11.4) for me.

Provided I reconfigure with the right path to #include, UnicodePlugin builds,
on Solaris 11.4 as well.

This is basically unrelated to Solaris 11.3 or Solaris 11.4 etc.
It is just where Linux/Unix distributions (or operating systems in general),
put their #include files and the configuration tools to figure out the settings.

Regards,
David Stes